Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Some Nutritious "Food For Thought" for the Gym-goer

My remarks for this most recent pearl of wisdom stemmed from a couple of different incidents molding together. I finally got myself back into a formal strength training program after being on hiatus for about 3 months (ah ah ah...doesn't mean I wasn't running around. Remember, exercise is the meaningful execution of preplanned and purposeful physical activity) when I realized I was only about 6 weeks away from my first internship and I needed to get some hypertrophy going if i was going to be of any use to my future patients (first internship is in outpatient neuro rehab - very taxing). So I wandered down to the health club, which is in a fairly affluent area and on my way in, as well as while taking inventory of what this place really had to offer, I saw a decent amount of people who were interested in their health. Lots of people, biking, running, playing basketball, lifting, etc., but knowing these white collar types, a thought instaneously flashed through my head - what does he have need to be that big for? - as I passed by one gentleman. Very prejudicial, I know, but I can't help it - first impressions were always snap and uncontrollable with me.

After my 30 min jog on the treadmill, I stretched out and made my way to the weight room to again assess what equipment the administration thought was necessary. Outside the weight room and above the water fountain hung pictures and credentialing of all the personal trainers (serendipitously convenient, no? These guys are good). I was happy that everyone had at least a Bachelors degree in something related (although my ears pricked after reading one girl was touted as having experience with physical therapy as a result of an internship she had, but there wasn't anything after her name to suggest she was actually a P.T.), but under one gentleman's mini CV he only had written "Fitness is a Lifestyle!" This is true, however....

(smirk) There's seems to be a lot of howevers with me, I've noticed. Some days I wish my life existed in a little more black and white instead of color. I digress. These two anecdotes overlayed something a dear friend said to me once as I was relishing in the new found power I wielded when I was selected to assist with Physical Therapy Program interviews one year: "So, what do you hope to accomplish with that question? What answer are you looking for?" Random, I know, but I do have I point.

As I worked my lower half on the leg press, I got to thinking. In this day and age of cultural norms, trends, fads, and ulterior motives, I tend to appreciate more those who have a functional, logical, and reasonable purpose for what their doing. For me, I have a functional purpose for my training - I need to be able to support, block, push, pull my patients, to perform my daily and non-daily tasks at home, as well as prevent injury when I play. And maybe the white collar folks have their reasons for living at the gym, as some truly do, but to them I ask a potentially pointed question: "To what end?" What purpose does exercising so much serve for you, and please don't tell me it's heavily based on self-image and trying to attract members of the opposite sex. While everybody's got their something, that's probably one of the worse, least self-satisfying reasons to do anything. ANYTHING. If nothing else, that kind of thinking breeds narcissism that's insanely hard to get rid of as one ages.

My solution - find a logical, meaningful purpose. If you want to protect your joints and back against age-related changes, perfect. If you want to do a triathalon, wonderful. If you want to improve your recreational rugby game, amen. If you want to be able to take care of yourself when you reach 90 y.o., fantastic. If you're diabetic or have high blood pressure and want to reduce your dependence on injected insulin or your risk of heart problems down the road, I'm sure medicare will eventually thank you, but I know your family and bank book will do so more readily. Whatever it is, please, have some depth to your resolution. In the end, the main idea is that you're active in a challenging way that makes your exercising efforts worth all the blood, sweat, tears and time.

As Jimmy Lunceford once suggested, "It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it." Just something to think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for that, KitKat. Justin and I recently joined a gym (I wanted to, he did because I forced him). We joined the less glamorous one because the people there seemed normal; like people who legitimately were doing it for their health (also because it was less expensive and we didn't feel like the big fat losers, but I digress). For a while I can remember trying to lose weight because I wanted to be cuter or whatever. But it doesn't help. You become more self-concious and more critical of yourself. However, with my mom's whole health thing this year, I realized we're made from the same genetic cookie-cutter (almost) and I need to act now to prevent problems in the future. So thanks for vocalizing your opinion. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete