Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Something to Chew On


I had an experience earlier this semester in my Psychosocial Aspects of Rehab class (essentially it's Ethics) where I became reactionary and immediately realized after my brief outburst (and mind you when I say outburst, I doubt anyone even heard me anyway) that I had, also briefly, a lapse in judgment and made me question whether I'm diligently culturing the supposedly level headed person I've always believed myself to be. If you know me by any measure, level headed is any moment where I lack an emotional investment or I voluntarily forfeit said emotional investment for the greater good. It has long been my dream to become like who I see as the great level headed people that I admire - Eleanor Roosevelt, Ghandi, George Washington, Solomon, and so many more.

I wonder if it's coincidence that AC/DC's "TNT" just started playing on my playlist?

But it surprised me in a way how I reacted so half-cocked. We had been discussing the situation of the woman in California who had just given birth to the octuplets and I immediately expressed my discontent for her opting to have such a supposedly large quantity in vitro procedure when she already had 6 other children under the age of 8. Now she has 14 children under the age of 8, without a job, and I think the media has crucifed her enough for what's transpired in her life since the story first broke, so I won't continue to rant - however....

It got me thinking.... Is there such a thing as universal ethical behavior? Is it truly all relative? Should the principles I hold dear be imposed on to her, even if it would be for the greater good? Or should we just stand aside and watch, even if we can forsee (or at least think we can forsee) what's going to happen with this family, or, breaking from that example, other situations that we see our friends and loved ones enter into? How far should we allow that "learning experince" progress before we intervene? Should we even intervene?

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. There are universal ethical principles. As a member of the LDS church I know that to be true. And, as a child of God I know that to be true, as do most people deep down.

    ReplyDelete