Saturday, November 28, 2009

Lessons Learned from "Wuthering Heights"

I should be ashamed of myself... but I'm not. Yes, I will be reviewing this story based on the film version I recently tortured myself with.

1. One Bronte no equally the other. As much as I HATED reading Jane Eyre as a freshman in high school, I've decided that classic books of which I abhor the writing, I just need to watch the film version - so much more palatable than page-long run-on sentences that abuse the semicolon. Significance? I finally understood the story! It opened up the real world of Jane Eyre which I hadn't seen during my first introduction that I ended up absolutely loving the tale. So what happens when I run into Wuthering Heights? I watch the film version...and about stab myself because instead of run-on sentence abuse, there's the "Young and the Restless" of the 19th Century. Ironic juxtaposition, but I think the latter Bronte was crying out for help (maybe after actually reading her sister's story - she needed the film version).

2. Never date guys named Heathcliff - crazy name = crazier men, and crazier men revenge is a (insert your favorite negative adjective).

3. Self control is a good thing. I think if Kathy had had a little chit chat with Dorian Gray prior to her betrayal, she could have gleaned what happens when we throw our emotions around to whomever is in front of us. (and yes, I know those two books weren't contemporaries of one another).

4. Simple communication could have solved all of their problems, and cut this book down to a Cliffnotes sized pamphlet, or shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment