Wednesday, December 23, 2009

To Be or Not To Be...? I'll Take 'Not'. Wait what?

I was on a blind double date with my former roommate Alyce, her husband, Mark, and Mark's friend Sam and the topic of conversation between Sam and I turned at one point to preferences, specifically of the personal nature.

Asked Sam, "So, if there's one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?"

I thought about it for a moment - of course the first thing that came to my mind was my hip contour, then the unevenness of my eyebrows, and so forth, but as I thought about it further, the more I realized all those things that I would change would change the essence of who I am.

"Nothing."
"Really?  Nothing?"
"Yeah.  I'm actually pretty happy with myself."
"Mmmm..." replies Sam.  "What about other people?  If there's something you could change about one other person, what would you change?"

Heh, that's a whole 'nother can of worms...   I thought about my frustrations with Sean.  Nah.  I thought about mother never apologizing for a thing she's done in her life that's involved me.   Nah. 

"You know, I don't think I'd change anything either."
"Why not?"
"Because then they wouldn't be them.  Changing any of that would mold them into how we want them to be and not allow them to become whatever they're going to choose be naturally."

As much as I get annoyed and frustrated by the small things people will sometimes do, it makes them who they are to me.  It's a nice idea to think about what small or large adjustments we wish we could make to people so they turn out more in line with what we think perfection is or they'd be better off if they just did... (some things are legit though, such as using it as a way to combat Indifference within the human soul).

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment