Monday, January 25, 2010

All Is Fair in Love and Trust...

I've been meaning to write my thoughts on this topic for two weeks now, but for whatever reason I kept putting it off for more entertaining topics (like the cr-AZY stuff I see at the VA).  But, now that I've finished my dessert, I'm ready to attack my vegetables.

I was sitting in Sunday School two weeks ago, and we were talking about the Council in Heaven.  The discussion had gathered around Abraham 3:22-23, where the prophet learns about foreordination, seeing the "noble and great" intelligences amongst the droves and then being told by his Creator "thou was one of them."  I cannot help but think how humbling of a moment that must have been, to learn that he was one who was most faithful and obedient during his pre-earth life.  And in looking at Abraham, the proof was certainly in the pudding, he was noble and great prior to his birth was certainly most nobel and great during his time in mortality. 

But in mentioning those descriptors along, "noble" and "great", someone behind me made an interesting connection that I don't think I will forget.  Those spirits, or intelligences, who stood out to Abraham in this vision were most likely those other prophets who went before and came after him (and I believe the Savior was among them).  I do not claim that as an all inclusive list by any means, but I know it includes them...minimum.  Either way, the parallel the young man behind me proffered went something like this:

It is given that God's greatest work on this earth is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. This is not an easy task and the sheer gravity of thinking about such a prospect will drive that thought home. Just like any of our parents would only entrust their child's wellbeing into the hands of loved and capable people, Heavenly Father did the same. He chose those 'noble and great ones' to eventually become leaders of His people because He trusted them - He knew they would not fail Him. God's love does extend to every one of His children, that goes without question or doubt.... but He only trusts a few.

The thought of that hit me hard, especially in light of my Patriarchal Blessing and certain things I've experienced in my life that have testified to me that Heavenly Father must either need me for something or didn't want me to return to Him in such a state of little progression as I have obtainted (in which case only further proves His love for me as an individual).  How despairing it is to think of God  not trusting someone...  to me that is just as grave a failure as anything else - one of the few beings who has the ability to love every single one of His children unconditionally and yet know He could not trust them w/ whatever aspect of His magnum opus...

But, indeed, we need not despair.  Heaven knows we have our agency and are here to use just that.  Because we have the ability to choose, we may resolve ourselves to be more consistently obedient and prove ourselves worthy of God's trust as a compliment to His love.  How our agency can set us free... =)

Also, how this parallels our day to day relations we have with one another... 

Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment